Retail is the buzzword in India these days. As India goes through retail revolution, it will establish itself as the largest / second largest market in the world in the next 2 decades. Competition amongst the first movers to establish Private Labels is intense as these labels will be big brands in the next few years and will also add directly to the bottom lines of retailers with higher gross margins.
- Private Label brand – Tasty Treat from Food Bazaar has a 16% market share. Bingos from ITC is another private label in the same category.
- Reliance has around 15% private labels in its hypermarkets and has a long term strategy to build good brands.
- Wadhwan Foods has 12% private labels in Spinach Retail outlets.
- TruMart under Pyramid Retail has launched Uttam brand of private labels in daily groceries
- Hypercity retail is leading the Indian marjet in private labels in the apparel category
Indian retail has a long and a nice profitable way to go through. Here are some good coverages on Private Labels.